The Sisters of Notre Dame founded 摆脱游戏官方网站 as a Catholic, 四年, liberal arts institution for women in 1922. The Sisters had fled Coesfeld, Germany, during Bismarck’s Kulturkampf in the 1870s. Many of them had come to Cleveland at the request of Bishop Richard Gilmour, who had sought German-speaking teachers for the parish schools of St. 克利夫兰和圣. 约瑟夫在俄亥俄州的弗里蒙特.
In 1878, the Sisters established Notre Dame Academy in Cleveland for 14 students. After several relocations, in 1915 a new provincial house and academy were built on Ansel Road. After 1920, boys were no longer enrolled. 很快, the female students and their families clamored for a college to continue their education under the Sisters of Notre Dame.
1921年4月, the Sisters in Cleveland sent a letter to Mother Mary Cecilia Romen in Germany, asking that “work of college grade” be offered in the fall of 1921. 在回应, the Mother General of the Sisters of Notre Dame decided to visit the Cleveland Diocese, where the Sisters now operated one academy, seven high schools and 25 parochial schools.
3月26日, 1922, Mother Mary Cecilia wrote a letter to Cleveland Bishop Joseph Schrembs asking for permission to open a college for women. Less than a month later, the bishop granted permission.
在M. Cecilia Romen, the College opened its doors to 13 women and 11 novices on Sept. 18, 1922; the articles of incorporation for 摆脱游戏官方网站 were signed and filed with the State of Ohio on March 30, 1923. Mother Mary Evarista Harks became the first president of NDC; Sr. Mary Agnes Bosche was appointed the first dean. 一个学期的学费是75美元.
In June 1923, the Sisters leased 39 acres from the Jordan Family along Green Road in South Euclid. 一年之后 they purchased 15 more acres. Construction of the campus began in the fall of 1926. 9月. 17, 1928, 13个老年人, 16岁青少年, 21 sophomores and 32 freshmen began classes in the new 政府 Building.
Three residence halls and the 政府 Building’s west wing were built in the 1960s. 克拉拉·弗里茨谢图书馆(1971), the 凯勒中心 (1987) and two more residence halls (2009) followed. The College acquired the former Regina High School complex in 2011.
Other milestones since 摆脱游戏官方网站 opened its doors:
- 6月15日, 1925, 摆脱游戏官方网站 celebrated its first graduates of the two-year (certificate only) teacher training school: Kathleen Foster, 海伦马赫, 约瑟芬Ogrin, Estelle Weist和Kathryn Poelking. 一年之后, 14 students received their bachelor’s 度 and state certificates to teach in Ohio high schools. They were the College’s first graduating class of 四年 college 学位 students.
- 6月9日, 1938, Betty Brown became the first black student to graduate from NDC with a 学位 in art and music. She returned as a faculty member in the early 1950s.
- In 1942, 摆脱游戏官方网站 implemented the war-time accelerated program. The 学位 could be completed in three years with three 10-week summer sessions.
- On June 4, 1955, Suzanne Gelin earned the first 最优等地 在摆脱游戏娱乐官网的历史上.
- In 1969, the College’s sociology department initiated the Law Enforcement 教育 Program in which men could obtain an A.A. 学位.
- In 1975, the College established the Lifelong Learning Center for the education of mature women and to ease the return to college for women over age 25.
- On May 18, 1975, the first two male students graduated from the College with A.A. 度.
- 1978年9月，老. Mary LeRoy Finn opened Notre Dame’s Weekend College to 40 women.
- 1983年5月, 12 pioneer Weekend College (WECO) students, who had completed their coursework in July 1982, became the first WECO grads to receive their 度.
- In the fall of 1991, Notre Dame’s Master of 教育 program started. Marcia Anselmo and Lu Kinblade were the first M.Ed. 1994年毕业于摆脱游戏官方网站. 布鲁斯我. Brownfield became the first male to receive the M.Ed. 一年后在学院获得学位.
- In July 1994, the Center for Excellence began operation. Renamed the Center for 专业发展 in 1998, 它提供教学项目, 技术和学习.
- In January 2001, the first three men enrolled as undergraduate students, compared to 875 women.
- On May 7, 2005, 118 members of the first co-ed class graduated.
- In November 2005, the Academic Support Center for Students with Learning Differences opened. In 2021 it was renamed as the 发展学习中心 to better reflect its student-centered purpose.
- By fall 2011, enrollment had grown to a record 2,156 students with 1,346 full-time undergraduates.
- 2020年4月6日，J. 迈克尔•Pressimone艾德.D., became the 15th president of 摆脱游戏官方网站.
- 4月16日, 2021, was the inaugural opening of the Notre Dame Center for Intelligence and Security Studies.
- 在2020年秋天, Notre Dame’s new 10-course MBA program was offered to a pioneer cohort of 20 students.
- J. 迈克尔•Pressimone艾德.D.2020年4月,礼物
- 约翰P. Galovic Ed.D.， 2019-2020(临时总统)
- 托马斯·G. Kruczek, 2014 - 2019
- Dr. Andrew P. 罗斯,2003 - 2014
- Dr. 安妮·戴明,1996 - 2003
- Dr. 同性恋Culverhouse, 1996
- Dr. Robert Karsten, 1995 (Interim 总统)
- Sister Mary Marthe Reinhard ’52, 1973-1988
- Sister Mary Loyole Gabel ’30, 1958-1963
- Mother Mary Anselm Langenderfer, 1949-1955